Adjustment of Status

There are a variety of ways for people to apply for a Lawful Permanent Resident status. Adjustment of status is the process that you can use to apply for a Green Card when you are present in the United States. This means that you may get permanent residence without having to return to your home country to complete visa processing.


The eligibility requirements for adjustment of status may vary depending on the immigrant category you are applying under. 


Family Members

Immediate relatives (Spouse, unmarried child under age of 21, or parent of U.S. Citizen).


Other relatives of a U.S. citizen (unmarried son or daughter over 21 years, married son or daughter, and brother or sister who is 21 years old)


Family members of lawful permanent resident (spouse or unmarried child under 21 years)



A person admitted to the U.S. as a fiancé of a U.S. citizen (K-1 nonimmigrant), or a person admitted to the U.S. as the child of a fiancé of a U.S. citizen (K-2 nonimmigrant)


Immigrant Worker

As a first preference immigrant worker you have extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics, are an outstanding professor or researcher, or  are a multinational manager or executive who meets certain criteria . There are second and third preference categories as well.


Asylum or Refugee Status

You were granted asylum or admitted as a refugee at least one year ago


Human Trafficking and Crime Victims

You currently have a T or U nonimmigrant visa.


Victims of Abuse

VAWA victim of battery or extreme cruelty: the abuse he abused spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. The abused child (unmarried and under 21 years old) of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. The abused parent of a U.S. citizen 


Special immigrant juvenile: A child who has been abused, abandoned, or neglected by a parent who has SIJ status.

Request a Consultation with our San Diego Immigration Attorney to find our more information and determine your eligibility.

Attorneys at Law

Contact Us

642 Third Avenue, suite K Chula Vista, CA 91910

Tel: 619-245-4106

Fax: 619-245-4109

© 2020 by Law Office of Luis Macias, Jr. APC.


Website disclaimer

The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any matter.

The transmission and receipt of information contained on this Web site, in whole or in part, or communication with the Law Office of Luis Macias, Jr. APC via the Internet or e-mail through our website does not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship between us and any recipient. You should not send us any confidential information in response to this webpage.


Such responses will not create a lawyer-client relationship, and whatever you disclose to us will not be privileged or confidential unless we have agreed to act as your legal counsel and you have executed a written engagement agreement with the Law Office of Luis Macias, Jr. APC. The material on this website may not reflect the most current legal developments. The content and interpretation of the law addressed herein is subject to revision. We disclaim all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all the contents of this site to the fullest extent permitted by law. Do not act or refrain from acting upon this information without seeking professional legal counsel.

  • Instagram
  • Facebook